Some of the news that mattered today (01/23/2012)
EU, Iran, Sanctions, oh my!
In short: call your representative and senator and tell them to discourage the president from attacking Iran.
Washington State set to declare that gay people may have feelings for one another:
Yay! We’re almost as progressive as Iowa now.
Oldish news, but it’s got some great photos you should see.
#MSMSUCKS (media blacked out drunk):
The media was too busy getting plastered to cover the protest against the Citizens United ruling.
Don’t buy or pirate content during March, wait till April.
Occupy Seattle pledge drive (it’s like NPR but less annoying):
If you live in Seattle give them money. If you don’t, give your local occupy money. Or don’t. Whatever.
Newt suggests that a Republican administration would be able to plausably deny attacks on Iran.
I can’t stop laughing.
A lot has already been said. Hopefully people will say more.
White House Staffers Don’t Understand Math (Oil Spill Edition):
People need to google lower bound now.
Horse race (Newt could get the nomination wthrepeoplethinking):
I love the horserace, but it’s most of the coverage of the news.
CIA officer prosecuted for telling press CIA tortured terror suspects:
Please call your congressman and senator and ask them to give this guy a pardon, he’s a hero.
File sharing sites put up signs saying “please pretend you’re Canadian, eh?”:
MegaUpload – Closed.Â http://mashable.com/2012/01/23/megaupload-founder-bail/
– FileServe – Closing does not sell premium.
– FileJungle – Deleting files. Locked in the U.S..
– UploadStation – Locked in the U.S..
– FileSonic – the news is arbitrary (under FBI investigation).
– VideoBB – Closed! would disappear soon.
– Uploaded – Banned U.S. and the FBI went after the owners who are gone.
– FilePost – Deleting all material (so will leave executables, pdfs, txts)
– Videoz – closed and locked in the countries affiliated with the USA.
– 4shared – Deleting files with copyright and waits in line at the FBI.
– MediaFire – Called to testify in the next 90 days and it will open doors pro FBI
-Org torrent – could vanish with everything within 30 days “he is under criminal investigation”
– Network Share mIRC – awaiting the decision of the case to continue or terminate Torrente everything.
– Koshiki – operating 100% Japan will not join the SOUP / PIPA
– Shienko Box – 100% working china / korea will not join the SOUP / PIPA
– ShareX BR – group UOL / BOL / iG say they will join the SOUP / PIPA
You can’t stop filesharing. You can’t. I’m sorry. This won’t reduce piracy. You have to get rid of deadweight loss instead.
Supreme Court Rules that GPS monitoring by law enforcement requires warrant:
This is a ruling from a bizarro world in which our civil liberties still exist. I am shocked that the supreme court can agree that warrantless survailance is a bad bad awful thing that we should not do.